Low Back Strength Test

Login Forums Strength Training Low Back Strength Test

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nick Hedayatpour
    Participant

Hello Coaches,

I'd like to know if any of you or know if Coach Poliquin had a specific low back strength test?
    I know that we can test it through observing technical breakdown to detect weakness and also analysing ratios between lower body primary lifts. Just want to know if there is a specific test for low back strength that has a ratio to big lifts?

Jance Footit
    Participant

As far as I know, no, and the reason why is the low back is not aimed to be a primary mover in any of the major lifts. I know that sounds crazy, but its job is really to be a CONDUCTOR of force, not a GENERATOR of force. At least, like I said, for the major lifts. You see, take the squat for example. You have 2 points of focus. The bar on your back, and your legs trying to squat. What's in between? your low back...( your torso really, but lets just focus on the low back). Your legs generate the force and power which then have to travel through your low back before it can get to the bar to move it. Therefore, the low back can be a limiting factor in your squat. SO, you wouldn't say you need to be a certain level of strong in an exercise in order to squat a certain amount. You just need to be "strong enough" in the low back for it to efficiently conduct the force from your legs to the bar. NOW, that can be drastically different from person to person. Someone who has a shorter torso (smaller low back) won't need as much muscle as a taller person to keep it from bending under heavy load. Hope that makes sense.
    There are a handful of people out there that have found through their experience that using their low backs for a movement is better for them (as far as performance goes, maybe not so much safer). This is not something that you would ever teach globally though, it's something that must be found by an individual with several training years under their belt.

Jance Footit
    Participant

I could explain things further but let me know if that answers your question.

Nick Hedayatpour
    Participant

yes certainly. Thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.