strong man training

Login Forums Fat Loss strong man training

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael DeFrancesco
    Participant

Hello and thank you for your time Coaches!

I would love to get some advice on how to use a truck to spice up strong man training, I have many attachments for pulling ( rope, harness, handles) and if you also had any advice on how to structure a strong man metabolic style conditioning program over a week?

Thank you!

Ryan Faehnle
    Participant

Okay so this topic could be an entire seminar in and of itself, but I will try to keep it brief. First off, if you have a truck that's awesome because you have near endless possibilities for inducing metabolic torture to your clients and yourself. With a heavy load, I much favor training the power side of the various energy systems, as opposed to capacity. This means complete recovery between reps and a lower overall volume.... but you have to EARN your recovery with 100% true maximal effort. Sprinting while pushing the truck as fast as you possibly can for 30 seconds (once you've gotten it moving) will leave you praying for your soul after just 1 rep. Don't be tempted to go again before you are fully recovered, aim for QUALITY of effort over quantity. Mark the distance you push in that 30 seconds and try to exceed it each time if you can. Once your performance drops more than 10%, it's time to move on, even if you've planned for more reps initially. No sense training a sub-par adaptation. Keeping in mind that I have no idea who the client is or their ability level or the size of the truck, here is a sample workout for lactic power:

A. Forward Truck Push Sprint - 3x30 seconds maximal / 5 minutes recovery

B. Backward Drag - 3x30 seconds maximal / 5 minutes recovery

C. Seated Hand over Hand Rope Pull - 3x30 seconds maximal / 5 minutes recovery

If you create a high enough output in the 30-second work windows, this will absolutely dust someone and really build their "metabolic engine."

Good luck!

Jance Footit
    Participant

Michael, one of the best conditioning templates to use for Strongman are EMOMS. They can be structured identically for maybe a medley that will be in your next competition.
    Another template is to do AMRAPs, but stop right when you feel like you only have 2 or 3 more reps left. Full recovery, then try to hit that many reps again. Repeat sets with full recovery until critical drop off is reached (anything over 15%).

Eric Falstrault
    Participant

Awesome tips guys! I also l’île to alternate lower and upper to extend time of work if the legs give it too fast, so I attach a 50 feet rope, I make them push AFAP the truck until the rope is fully extended and then they run back to the end of the rope where I have a huge tire (they could also be standing up) and they pull with their arms until the truck comes back. They can do 4 minutes on and 4 minutes off. Maybe something else to add to what Ryan and Jance suggested.

Michael DeFrancesco
    Participant

THANK YOU!

Coach Faehnle, Coach Footit, Coach Falstrault!

I am so thankful for all your advice.

This definitely will help me torture myself and my clients!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.