Snatch-Grip Deadlift on Podium

Login Forums Strength Training Snatch-Grip Deadlift on Podium

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Chaney
    Participant

When training the Snatch-Grip Deadlift on Podium, what tend to be the weak links that are limiting factors?

I know this is the ultimate lower back builder but I am noticing that posterior chain easily takes over leading to the hips rising too fast and shifting the weight to the glutes as opposed to keeping it on the legs.

I’m coming to the conclusion that a strong VMO and strong scapular retractors will keep the body in the correct position to perform this exercise correctly.

Any thoughts?

Jance Footit
    Participant

Great question. So from a weightlifters perspective, the deficit snatch pull is used to put knee flexion at a greater degree than just pulling off the floor. When done properly, it is brutal on the VMO and quads overall. Why it can be tough on a weak low back is because proper form of a snatch pull will have the shoulders in front of the bar all the way until the bar reaches the power position (pretty much in the hip crease), so to pull with proper form from a deficit (even just the floor really) it takes tremendous back strength to hold that position all the way up. So it really depends on what the weak link is, and that will determine the load and nature of the exercise. If the back is the weak link, you'll lighten the load and focus on manipulation TUT variables to properly gain strength there. If the legs are the weak link you want to hit then the load will likely be higher and again the intent is shifted. Shooting the hips up is poor form with little to no transfer to anything worth a damn. The closest variant to this that can be used to train glutes and hamstrings would be snatch grip RDL. Does this help?

Alexander Chaney
    Participant

Thanks Jance!

I’ve been filming myself perform this exercise and I’ve noticed when the weight moves up, I have a tendency to raise my butt prematurely. I’m thinking this has to do with my glutes taking over as opposed to my quads so I’m going to drop the weight to practice good form with slower tempos.

Alexander Chaney
    Participant

I thought I’d post a clip of my form to be a better indicator of what may be lagging.

Here it is:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.