Natural imbalances that occur from excessive sprinting

Login Forums Structural Balance / Testing Natural imbalances that occur from excessive sprinting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Chaney
    Participant

I grew up wrestling and for the most part, you could get seriously conditioned physically from wrestling alone however I found the external rotators of the shoulder would NEED to be trained year round even through the season to counteract all the internal rotation work from the practices and competitions.

Another example directly from Charles would be alpine skiers who need to do a TON of hamstring work to counteract the overuse of the quads in their sport.

If we were to look into sprinting. If all you did was sprint (track, hill or on sand), would there be any particular imbalances that would naturally occur if you practiced sprinting excessively?

Jance Footit
    Participant

Here you go Alexander, I asked coach Ernie Clark from Ashland university this question and he gave me permission to repost here.
    "I Don't have any articles or science on this, just experience and knowledge from past clinics. From my experience in coaching football, basketball, and track I have NOT noticed any significant imbalances but have always assumed that there MUST be some. Most specifically because the athletes are ALWAYS traveling FORWARD. Therefor, I have always implemented reverse running and jogging into my weekly plan. I also incorporate lateral training in the conditioning cycle because I found that once a multi athlete gets rolling in track, they tend to be very durable. So I like to attack them as a full athlete in the early season.
    The main imbalance that shows up is in indoor track in in the feet, knees, and back from tight turns on indoor tracks during indoor season."

Alexander Chaney
    Participant

Thank you Jance!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.