How To Become A Successful Strength Coach

Login Forums General Questions How To Become A Successful Strength Coach

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Cowan
    Participant

Coaches,

I was wondering if you have any suggestions or references for someone transitioning from their current job to a strength coach. Such as books, part time jobs, internships, degrees, and/or certifications. Let’s say I have 4 years left until I leave my current job, what should I be focusing on?

Ryan Faehnle
    Participant

Read everything you can get your hands on. Pay for consultations time with experts, it will allow you to shave years off of your learning curve and allow you to cut through the BS in the industry and get real-life experience and get YOUR specific questions answered. While you are in learning mode, be prepared to humble yourself and work for free. Go find a sports team or a gym that has a proven track record and volunteer your time for free. Scrub floors, re-rack weights, wipe equipment down, etc. Go out of your way to do all the grunt jobs as a "thank you" for them allowing you to observe them train their athletes and clients. When the time is right (never while they are working directly with a client or athlete), ask questions and listen and learn. Do this as many places as you can. It will be exhausting and you will wonder why you are doing it. But someday another organization is going to call that company that you have been scrubbing floors for and asking great questions, and being super helpful..... and they are going to ask if they know of anyone would would be a good fit. If you do your job well, your name will be at the tip of their tongue and that will be your opportunity to get your foot in the door. Once you're in the door, you then have to apply all of the knowledge that you've been accumulating while you've been waiting for your chance. Get RESULTS and you will make a name for yourself and be on your way to being one of the best! It's simple, but it ain't easy!

Jance Footit
    Participant

In addition to everything Ryan said, we are also right now working on creating a multi tier coaching education series right now that we are confident will be the industry standard. The first few should be available within a matter of a few months

Eric Falstrault
    Participant

Hey Adam, Eveything that Ryan said is on point. I personally started on gym floors making as many programs as possible for the new clients coming in. The more clients you deal with, more experience you'll get. You could usually do this in big box gyms. But like Ryan said, you can go straight to the source, someone you could look up to to show you a few tips and tricks to start with, you could save a lot of mistakes. If it'S a passion, you'll never look back. Good luck!

Andrew Cowan
    Participant

Roger that. Makes sense. Thanks gents!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.